Purpose

Are people inherently good or inherently evil?

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

Kierkegaard Perspective

Kierkegaard enlightened me. I read an excerpt about his beliefs of god when it came to evil. It was surprisingly clear and precise and helped me understand a different view.

"The whole question of God’s omnipotence and goodness and its relation to evil (instead of the distinction that God works good and only permits evil) can perhaps be explained quite simply in this manner.
  1. The greatest act that can be performed by any being, greater even than any end to which it can be created, is to make it free.  In order to be able to do that, omnipotence is necessary…
  2. God’s omnipotence is therefore His goodness.  For goodness means to give absolutely, yet in such a way that by taking oneself back one makes the recipient independent.
  3. From finite power comes only dependence, and omnipotence alone can make something independent, can create something out of nothing which endures for itself, because omnipotence is always taking itself back…."
This outlook made  lot of sense to me. I like his perspective and while it does state that God gives us independence because of his omnipotence it does not address why there is evil in the world. I do respect and even somewhat agree with Kierkegaard though because he is stating, and explaining why, god is good; not evil. But again why is there evil?

I have already concluded that the opportunity for evil to manifest is because god gave humans free will, but why cant he just not let the bad things happen?
Even writing this I guess I have to admit that I know the answer.
If his purpose was for humans to have complete free will then he cant make that situational (well he can but he shouldn't). When it comes to humans I understand that we must, unfortunately have the "right" to be evil. But I must say that I don't like it. I wish there was another way for us to have free will and yet have the world be evil-free.

No comments:

Post a Comment